Uncovered How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10 (Shocking Method)
Today we will be discussing an important topic How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10.
Let’s dive deeper into the topic.
How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10 (Old Method)
Prior to the release of Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update Version 1607 (Build 14393) on 2nd August 2016, it was very easy to disable Cortana.
All we had to do was Click or Tap on the Cortana icon or search box.
Click Settings (Gear icon) & slide the Toggle for “Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more” to Off.
Things have now changed. We have a new method now.
Let’s understand it.
How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10 (New Method) By BytesWiki
Recently after the release of Windows 10 Creators Update, reports have been coming in where users have said that disabling Cortana can entirely break search and the only way to fix it doing a clean Windows 10 installation once again.
But if you’re still keen on pulling the plug on Cortana’s capabilities in Windows 10, there are ways to do it and we will show it to you.
Prevent Cortana From Getting To Know You
First, let’s go to Cortana’s settings to turn off all the separate ways it monitors your computer habits. Here’s how:
- Click or Tap on the Cortana icon or search box and Click Settings (Gear icon).
- Go to “Talk to Cortana” tab and turn off every toggle from On to Off.
- Next, go to the “Permissions & History” tab and turn off every toggle from On to Off.
To serve you better, Cortana also collects data about your typing and talking, as well. If you’d like to turn that off, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows Button in your keyboard to open the Start Menu. Then press the Settings icon which looks like a gear wheel.
- Type the word Privacy in the box and then Windows will show you some auto-suggestions. Click the Privacy Settings option.
- In the left panel, Go to General and turn off every toggle from On to Off.
- Go to Speech, inking & typing and Press “Turn off speech services and typing suggestions”.
Remember, turning this off will also Disable Dictation feature across Windows 10. If that’s a service which you depend a lot, then you’ll have to manage with Windows ‘getting to know you’.
How To Turn Off Cortana Completely
Once you’ve done all the steps above, Cortana will stop responding to your voice. But that doesn’t mean it is completely off. It’s still running in the background.
To get rid of it completely, you need to do some more changes depending on the version of Windows 10 that you are currently running – Home, Pro, or Enterprise – the steps will be little different.
How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise
Warning! :- Before you proceed further, we highly recommend that you create a “System Restore point” via control panel and then proceed further.
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard to open the Start Menu and search for Edit group policy, and open it.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Find Allow Cortana, and double-click to open it.
- Click Disabled, and then hit OK.
How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
- Press the Windows button in your keyword + R to open a Run dialog and then type “regedit” without the double quotes and then press Enter to launch Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
- Right-click the Windows directory, and choose New > Key. Type in Windows Search, and hit enter.
- Select Windows Search. In the right-hand side pane, right-click on the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type in AllowCortana, and hit enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Value Data.
- Restart your computer.
BONUS SHORTCUT METHOD: Using One-Click Registry Hack
Download One-Click Registry Hack
Then open the zip file and double-click the “Disable Cortana.reg” file, and press agree to add the information to your windows registry. Then Restart your computer.
Conclusion (How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10)
So by following this shockingly simple method you will be able to turn off the Cortana in Windows 10 easily and effortlessly.
We are sure that you found this article useful. Now we would request you to kindly share this post so that it reaches all the people who need this information.
- 7 Best Methods for How to Force Uninstall Programs on Windows 10 That Won’t Uninstall (Solved)
- How to Remove Mobile Number from Instagram Account
- Confused On How To Delete Multiple Photos In Instagram At Once
- How to Get GPS Coordinates from Google Maps?