How to Fix the Error “The Action Can’t Be Completed Because the Folder or a File in it is Open in Another Program”
Is your Windows 10/8/7 PC not allowing you to delete or copy or move or rename a file or a folder?
The Action Can’t Be Completed Because The Folder or a File in it is Open in Another Program: How To Fix Tutorial
Or any of these most common errors messages:
- Cannot delete file: Access is denied
- There has been a sharing violation.
- The source or destination file may be in use.
- The file is in use by another program or user
- The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
- Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
If you want to fix this problem, you must know the reason first. Generally, the file is used or locked would be the main reason. Otherwise, a virus must be taken into account.
It is most likely because another program in the background is currently trying to use the file or the file is locked. So, Windows 10 puts the file in a locked mode and you won’t be able to copy, move, rename or delete some or all of the files.
So let us introduce you to a handy dandy tool that we at BytesWiki highly recommend because we’ve been using it since 2008 and it still gets the job done perfectly.
As the name suggests, Unlocker is a free and fast working tool. This tool manages to unlock files & folders that are locked for some reason. This tool is plain and simple to use. You can either browse and delete the file or use the drag-and-drop option. The Unlocker is an ideal tool for errors like “Cannot delete folder: It is being used” or “Cannot delete file: Access is denied”. The tool has been there since the time of Windows XP and it is compatible with almost every version of Windows. But while installing the tool, please select “Advanced” and then uncheck some shopping toolbars from getting installed in your PC since this software is Ad-supported.
After you install the program, kindly follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 1: Close all the programs.
Step 2: Restart your computer.
Step 3: Right Click on the file/folder which you wish to Delete/Move/Copy/Rename
Step 4: Choose the Action you want to perform on the object and then press OK
Now you have successfully unlocked your file/ folder. We hope this tutorial has helped you.
Kindly leave us a comment below if you have any doubts or if you wish to say Thanks. This keeps us motivated.
- How to Turn Off Cortana in Windows 10 (New Method)
- 7 Best Methods for How to Force Uninstall Programs on Windows 10 That Won’t Uninstall (Solved)
- How to Get GPS Coordinates from Google Maps?
- Confused On How To Delete Multiple Photos In Instagram At Once